Between March 1 and March 31, 2018, British Airways Executive Club is offering a 35% bonus when you convert select hotel points into Avios. The promotion is valid for points transfers from Club Carlson, Hilton Honors, IHG Rewards Club, Marriott Rewards, Shangri-La Golden Circle, and World of Hyatt. Unfortunately Starwood Preferred Guest transfers are excluded (this is a recurring promotion — back in the day they’d include Starwood Preferred Guest for the bonus, though as of this past fall they haven’t).
There’s no registration required, and bonus points should post 4-6 weeks after the conversion is initiated. In order to be eligible for the bonus, you have to transfer at least the following number of hotel points:
- Club Carlson – 2,000 points
- Hilton Honors – 10,000
- IHG Rewards Club – 10,000
- Marriott Rewards – 10,000
- Shangri-La Golden Circle– 2,500
- World of Hyatt – 5,000
In general you’re going to be losing a lot of value if you choose to convert hotel points into airline miles, so it’s not something I’d consider doing with Club Carlson, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, or Shangri-La. You’re much better off redeeming those points for hotel stays.
If you’re looking to maximize value, the only time this makes sense is if you’re wanting to book a Marriott Hotel + Air Packages, of which British Airways Executive Club is a partner.
Through Hotel + Air packages you receive a set number of free nights plus a set number of miles as part of the package. These packages are in my opinion the best use of Marriott Rewards points to begin with, so the value only gets better when you add in a potential conversion bonus.
To put this into perspective, seven nights at a Category 1-5 property plus 120,000 Avios will run you 270,000 Marriott Rewards points. If you did that, you’d receive a total of 162,000 Avios (including the 35% bonus through this promotion), plus seven nights at a Category 1-5 property.
Since Starpoints transfers aren’t directly eligible for this promotion, keep in mind that you can convert Starpoints into Marriott points at a 1:3 ratio, and then convert them into Avios. Using the above method, you’d be paying 90,000 Starpoints to get 162,000 Avios plus seven nights at a Category 1-5 property. Even without factoring in the hotel nights, that’s like getting 1.8 Avios per Starpoint, which is a potentially great deal.
This won’t be for everyone, but if you really value Avios (see this post for some of the best uses of Avios), then a Marriott Hotel + Air package could represent a good deal.
Redeem Avios for LATAM business class without fuel surcharges
Personally I’d rather earn Avios in one of several other ways:
- Through the British Airways Visa Signature® Card, which has a great sign-up bonus
- Through points transfers from Amex Membership Rewards, including from cards like the Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express, The Amex EveryDay® Credit Card from American Express, The Platinum Card® from American Express, The Blue Business℠ Plus Credit Card from American Express, The Business Gold Rewards Card from American Express OPEN, etc.
- Through points transfers from Chase Ultimate Rewards, including from cards like the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card, Ink Business Preferred℠ Credit Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve℠, etc.
Does anyone plan on taking advantage of this British Airways transfer bonus?
(Tip of the hat to Frequent Flyer Bonuses)
Powered by WPeMatico