In early May the new Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Credit Card was introduced. As part of Marriott creating a new loyalty program they’re changing up their credit card portfolio, and this new card is part of that.
The card has a $95 annual fee, and offers a huge welcome bonus of 100,000 Marriott Rewards points after spending $5,000 within the first three months. I value Marriott Rewards points at ~0.8 cents each, so to me those points are worth about $800. That’s one of the best welcome bonuses we’ve seen on a hotel credit card.
This is a limited time offer, and we’ve known for a while that the offer is ending on July 12, 2018. So if you’ve been waiting to apply for the Marriott Rewards Premier Plus Card, you’ll want to do so ASAP, as there are only hours remaining.
This is a card that could be pretty valuable long term, given the perks it offers, including:
- A free night on your account anniversary every year, which can be redeemed for a hotel costing up to 35,000 Marriott Rewards points per night; this should cover a vast majority of Marriott properties worldwide (including Starwood hotels)
- You receive automatic Marriott Rewards Silver status for as long as you have the card, and Gold status when you spend $35,000 on purchases on the card in an account year
- Starting in 2019, you’ll receive 15 elite night credits towards status every calendar year; note that each Marriott account can get that credit at most once, so if you have multiple cards offering that, it won’t stack
To me the Marriott Rewards Premier Plus Card is well worth it for the anniversary free night certificate alone, as most people should be able to get way more than $95 of value out of that.
If you are going to apply for the card, just keep in mind the restrictions to be aware of:
- You’re not eligible for the new Marriott Rewards Premier Plus Card if you currently have the Marriott Rewards Premier Card, or received a new cardmember bonus on that card in the past 24 months (though you may be eligible for an upgrade offer)
- The card is subjected to the 5/24 rule, meaning you typically won’t be approved if you’ve opened five or more new card accounts in the past 24 months
If you’re locked out from getting the card due to those restrictions, consider getting the IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card or The World of Hyatt Credit Card instead. The cards also have great welcome bonuses and excellent perks, and aren’t subjected to 5/24.
Powered by WPeMatico